Xanthine alkaloids (caffeine, theophylline, theobromine): stimulate the central nervous system and the cardiovascular system, reducing drowsiness and increasing vigilance. Guarana is the plant with the highest caffeine content.
Saponin and tannins: significantly contribute to the effects of caffeine and ensure a gentler but prolonged stimulant effect.
- Guarana´s Journey from Regional Tonic to Aphrodisiac and GlobalEnergy Drink.
Nigel Smith and Andre Luiz Atroch
Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2010 Sep;7(3):279-82.
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled, multi-dose evaluationof the acute behavioural effects of guaraná in humans.
Haskell CF, Kennedy DO, Wesnes KA, Milne AL, Scholey AB.
J Psychopharmacol. 2007 Jan;21(1):65-70. Epub 2006 Mar 13.
- Acute effects of guarana (Paullinia cupana Mart.) on mousebehaviour in forced swimming and open field tests.
Campos AR, Barros AI, Albuquerque FA, M Leal LK, Rao VS.
Phytother Res. 2005 May;19(5):441-3.
- Improved cognitive performance in human volunteersfollowing administration of guarana (Paullinia cupana) extract:comparison and interaction with Panax ginseng.
Kennedy DO, Haskell CF, Wesnes KA, Scholey AB.
Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2004 Nov;79(3):401-11.
- Improved cognitive performance and mental fatiguefollowing a multi-vitamin and mineral supplement with added guaraná(Paullinia cupana).
Kennedy DO, Haskell CF, Robertson B, Reay J, Brewster-MaundC, Luedemann J, Maggini S, Ruf M, Zangara A, Scholey AB.
Appetite. 2008 Mar-May;50(2-3):506-13. Epub 2007 Oct 30.
- Effect of lyophilized extracts from guaraná seeds[Paullinia cupana var. sorbilis (Mart.) Ducke] on behavioralprofiles in rats.
Otobone FJ, Sanches AC, Nagae R, Martins JV, Sela VR, deMello JC, Audi EA.
Phytother Res. 2007 Jun;21(6):531-5.
The health claims that feature on our website in relation to the plants contained in our products are compliant with the list of health claims awaiting final assessment by the Community authorities (cf. website of the European Commission: http://ec.europa.eu/nuhclaims/). However, they may be subject to modification following their assessment by the national competent authorities.
The health claims relating to other nutrients or substances contained in our products that feature on our site are compliant with Regulation No. 432/2012 of the Commission of 16 May 2012 which establishes a list of authorised health claims authorised in relation to food products, other than those in reference to the reduction of the risk of disease as well as community-based development and child health (cf. website of the European Commission: http://ec.europa.eu/nuhclaims/).